Why We Do It
Austin is in an affordable housing crisis. Everyone knows it. Everyone feels it.
Hardworking members of our community are being forced out of Central Texas due to rising costs. More than half of low-income local residents are cost-burdened, paying at least 30% of their monthly income for housing
Affordable homeownership helps to alleviate the cost burden of housing and raises the educational achievement of children, improves health, encourages greater civic engagement and generates significant economic activity.
For more 35 years, Austin Habitat for Humanity, along with over 11,000 volunteers a year, has successfully provided decent, affordable homes and the resources our homeowners need to keep their homes.
- We have provided more than 830 homes.
- We have repaired more than 350 existing homes for low-income homeowners including seniors, people with disabilities and veterans.
- We have empowered more than 16,000 community members through housing counseling and education.
- We provide foreclosure counseling and foreclosure mitigation.
- We have recycled more than 38 million pounds of construction materials through our ReStore locations.
Every thriving city needs a variety of housing options for all members of its community. Austin Habitat is committed to providing affordable homeownership opportunities and is the largest builder of homes affordable to own for hardworking, low-income families in Central Texas.
Austin Habitat for Humanity impacts more than the 1,000 families we serve each year. Austin Habitat benefits the entire community. Our regional economic output is more than $10 million a year. Click here for more information about our economic impact.