How it Works
Austin Habitat for Humanity’s Home Repair Program fills an important need for alleviating substandard living conditions for people who need critical repairs to live safely at home but cannot afford the repairs on their own. While our program is open to all households that meet our eligibility guidelines, our program typically serves seniors and people with disabilities who have limited resources to complete the repairs themselves.
Our program is available to low-income homeowners who own and occupy their homes in our service area. We currently serve the following areas:
- Corporate city limits of Austin, TX
- Bastrop County
- Blanco County
- Caldwell County
- Hays County
- Travis County
We are able to perform repairs on homes that are freestanding, single-family homes. We are also able to serve manufactured homes so long as the home is on a permanent foundation and the homeowner owns both the home and the land the house resides on.
Types of Repairs
Austin Habitat utilizes the nationally recognized Green and Healthy Home Initiative to provide a holistic, whole-house approach to critical repairs and to prioritize repairs based on the highest impact for clients. This program is not meant for cosmetic changes – it is meant to improve the safety, accessibility, and health of your home.
Repairs examples include:
- Installing smoke & CO detectors
- Roofing repairs/replacement
- Electrical repairs & upgrades
- Exterior siding
- Bathroom & accessibility modifications, such as installing grab bars & ramps, shower conversions, widening doorways
- Drywall & flooring repairs
- Replacing windows to meet fire safety code
- Heating & cooling
- Structural carpentry relating to structural integrity
- Remediating cockroach infestations, dust mites in old carpeting, mold, & improperly vented fuel-burning appliances.
Am I Eligible?
To qualify for our program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Your house was not built by Austin Habitat for Humanity
- You own and occupy the home being repaired.
- Your home is located in our service area.
- Your home is more than ten years old
- You are not more than 60 days behind on your mortgage payments or in danger of foreclosure or being condemned.
- You are current on your property taxes (including payment plans) or have a deferral.
- You have, or are willing to secure, homeowner’s insurance. *May be waived for households under 30% MFI
- You meet the income guidelines (80% MFI or below) based on # of residents in the home. *income is collected for all residents 18 years & older.
|2023 Income Limit
|# of People
||Annual Income Limit
Income will be verified by AHFH staff according to HUD guidelines during the application process.
- You agree to pay a $150 program fee, due only after application approval and the Scope of Work is agreed upon with Austin Habitat for Humanity staff. This fee helps cover the cost of a criminal background check, application processing, and in-home construction assessment.
Interested in Applying?
If you meet the above preliminary eligibility requirements and are interested in applying to our program, please follow these steps:
1. Fill Out an Interest Form
Click the link below to fill out the Home Repair interest form online. This will add your name to our inquiry waitlist. This Is Not an Application for Repairs.
Make a Home Repair Inquiry
2. Get Screened
Once your name is at the top of our inquiry waitlist, someone from the Home Repair team will contact you to invite you to begin the eligibility screening process.
Please note waitlist times will vary depending on the amount of available funding for your area
3. Fill Out a Program Application
After being screened, you will receive an application to fill out and return with the required supporting documentation within 30 days.
If your application is approved, a Home Repair staff member will schedule a home construction assessment with the homeowner to begin the repair process.